Uttarpara Amarendra Vidyapith, erstwhile Uttarpara H.E. School, is now situated in the heart of this culturally developed town, on Bhupendranath Road, P.O.- Uttarpara, Dist.- Hooghly, Pin.- 712258. By now it has become an established Higher Secondary institution in the area. For more than 75 yrs this institution has been serving the cause of education in a vast area stretching from Chandannagar in the north to Howrah in the south, and from Baranagar-Dakshineswar in the east to Dankuni in the west.
In 1939, when the world was on the brink of a global conflagration in the form of a second world war, a few lovers of education of Uttarpara who belived in the maxim that “The pen is mightier than the sword”, selected an auspicious day and established the Uttarpara H.E. School on 6th March in the house of Late Nandalal Banerjee at 54, Banerjee Para Street in Uttarpara. It had of course, a modest beginning then with only 14 Boys & Girls students (Seven each in class V and class VI). But by now that modest venture has taken gigantic shape proving the age honoured saying that “Peace hath her victories no less renowned than war”. Now the roll strength is more than 1450 (Class V to XII). Now, due to space problem many students are out of the school.
The University of Calcutta accorded recognition to the then Uttrapara H.E. School with effect from the 1st day of January, 1943. Dr. B.C.Roy, the Hon’ble ex – chief Minister, Govt. of West Bengal, was gracious enough to inaugurate this present three storied building on 2nd February, 1957. The Uttarpara H.E. School was renamed UTTARPARA AMARENDRA VIDYAPITH by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education on 30th August, 1958, after the name of famous revolutionary of Uttarpara, Late Amarendranath Chattopadhyay.
When the Eleven – year H.S. Multipurpose Course was introduced in West Bengal in 1958, Uttrapara Amarendra Vidyapith was accorded recognition as an H.S. Multipurpose School with Science, Commerce and Humanities Streams. In 1978 this school was again up-graded to a Twelve-Class H.S. Institution eligible to teach Science, Commerce and Humanities bases subjects. At that time subjects were in H.S.(+2) level: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, History, Philosophy, Pol. Science, Accountancy, BEBM, B.O and Eco-Geo. In 1984 Education included in humanities stream as a subject and from 2001, Geography, Economics, Computer Science , Computer Application & Statistics included in H.S.
During these seventy seven years thousands of successful students came out of this institution with flying colours and established themselves in various spheres of life-professional, cultural, social and political. In 2015 our beloved student Anish Kr. Basu stood 6th in the H.S. examination in West Bengal.
Activities of the students:-
Academic: The percentage of success of our students in the Final examination has always been much higher than the general percentages of the Board or the H.S. Council. We have no mean record of scholarship-holders or star-holders. Each year our students receive very many prizes for their achievements in the Madhyamik and Higher Secondary Examinations, from the Uttrapara Examination Centre.
A good number of students here do very well in WBJEE, AIEEE, NEET, AISSE and other National Examination every year.
Not only in the academic sphere, but other co-curricular activities also our students take part regularly. They participate certainly with credit, in athletics games and sports, boxing and yoga competitions organized by Sub-Division and Districts Sports Association. State or National level organizations such as C.A.B. Thums up and so on. Our students also achieve success in debates, seminars, quiz contest, art and craft meets, recitations, music(vocal as well as instrumental), folk-dance dreams, etc. organized by different organizations like students Health Home, Rotaract Club and various other organizations. In 1994 we joined the World Boys Scout Movement by opening a Scout Group in our institution. We have also an Eco Club after the name of a famous ornithologist Salem Ali, sponsored by the Govt. of India.
Long live our Vidyapith.