News Updates :
Uttarpara Amarendra Vidyapith is named after the renowned freedom fighter from Uttarpara Shri Amarendra Nath Chatterjee. It was he who led the people of Uttarpara in the freedom struggle against British Imperialism.During this turbulent period a need was felt for a Government school where children with limited financial means could be admitted as the right of admission in any Government school was restricted to Zamindars or Royal families. Thus after an admirable initiative taken by a few locals a school came into existence with only 14 students on the day of 6th March, 1939 in the small balcony of the first and founder Head-Master Lt. Nandalal Bandopadhyay. Today this school is famous as Uttarpara Amarendra Vidyapith. At present we have student strength of 1630,240 students in primary section, 1008 in secondary and 382 students in higher secondary section.
The school was first established at 54 Banerjee Para Street (house of lt. Nandalal Bandopadhyay) with the name of Uttarpara Town School. As the numbers of students was continuously increasing, first it had to be shifted to 3 Munshi Para Lane on 1st January, 1940(total 42 students), and then to B.K.Street on 1st January,1942. Late Shri Aloknath Chatterjee joined as the Head-Master just after 2 days (3rd January, 1942). From 1st January,1943 the name of the school was changed to Uttarpara High English School or Uttarpara H.E. School and it was in this year that it received affiliation from Calcutta University.
It has been a story of great success for the school ever since, mainly due to the efficient administration of a worthy Head-Master and help of patrons such as Late Shri Radha Krishna Mukhopadhyay (first secretary of the governing council), Late Shibram Mukhopadhyay, Late Amulya Bandopadhyay, Late Prabodh Mukhopadhyay etc.
In 1944, 3 students of from our school appeared for the Matriculation exam. At that time the post of Rector was renamed Assistant Head-Master. Babu Shibendra Banerjee was the first person to be offered that post. Late Prof. Basudeb Pal, who was from a very poor family received 642 marks out of 800 in Matriculation examination in the year of 1948 and secured 15th rank. This achievement was a matter of great pride for Uttarpara. Also there was an increased interest in securing admission to the school. In the year 1950 the renowned physician Dr. Harendra Nath Pan, a student of this school secured 9th rank in West Bengal by scoring 640 out of 800 in Matriculation Examination, which still stands as a record for the school.Thereafter there was such a great increase in the number of new admissions that the need for a larger accommodation became paramount therefore with the initiative of Shri Radha Krishna Mukhopadhyay and Head-Maste r of that time Shri Aloknath Chattopadhyay the school was shifted to Charakdanga Street which is presently known as B.N.Road. The new premises was inaugurated by Late Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, ex Chief Minister of West Bengal, on 3rd February, 1957 and the name of the school was changed to UTTARPARA AMARENDRA VIDYAPITH. It received acknowledgement from West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (W.B.B.S.E.) on 30th August, 1958.
Since then it has been a march towards excellence. Our results in board examinations has been commendable in Hooghly district. Now we have students from such far –flung areas as Barahanagr, Dakshineshwar, Ariadaha to Dankuni,in the East Raghunathpur,. Belanagar in the West, Serampore, Seaoraphuli in the North and Bandel to Bally, Belur, Liluah in the South.